What To Do If You Lose Your Passport On Holiday

What To Do If You Lose Your Passport On Holiday

  • 10th May 2019
  • 3 min read

Here's what you should do if you lose your passport on holiday or whilst travelling...

Travelling to and from your dream destination can be stressful. Whether it's ensuring you’re all packed or that your travel insurance is booked, we all tend to become worrisome in transit.

However, there is one holiday woe that fills even the most seasoned traveller with dread – realising that you have lost your passport. Or worse still, it has been stolen.

Now, on the UK end this is relatively easy to sort out, but what can you do when you’re far away from home shores?

Luckily, the UK government has recently updated its advice on what to do should the worst happen…

Act quickly!

As soon as you notice that your passport has been lost or stolen, government guidelines recommend getting in touch with the local police immediately to limit the possibility of identity theft.

Then go to www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport this handy website has all the contact information for all the British embassies across the globe.

Just select the country you’re currently in and find the contact details for the nearest High Commission. You can also download a ‘Lost or Stolen Passport Notification’ from this website.

Once you’ve filled it in, simply post, fax or physically take the form to the nearest British Embassy. You may need an appointment if you’re delivering it in person.

And remember, if you’re not able to report a lost or stolen passport yourself for any reason, someone else can do it for you.

Passport replacement

If you don’t need to travel imminently, you can apply for your new passport from abroad. This may take longer than it does in the UK and carry a more sizeable price tag, more information on which can be found at Gov.uk.

You will need to produce two identical photographs as well as any other passports you hold for different countries.

If you have to travel urgently, you can apply to receive an emergency passport. Unfortunately, this temporary document comes at a hefty cost of £100.

The government guidelines also state that you can only travel through a total of five countries using this passport, all of which must be confirmed and printed into the document.

It says: “Your travel plans (countries and dates) will be printed on your emergency travel document. If you change your travel plans once you have your emergency travel document, you’ll need to apply for a new one.”

Tommy Lloyd
Author: Tommy Lloyd, Managing Director

Tommy has over 15 years experience within the insurance industry, and his primary focus is helping travellers find the right cover at the right price!